EB-4 Special Immigrants

The EB-4 category is for special immigrant religious workers.

To qualify under this category:

  • You must be a member of a religious organization that has a non-profit religious unit in the U.S.
  • You must have been working in the religious organization for at least two years before applying to the U.S. for immigration.
  • You must be entering the U.S. to work in one of the following capacities:
    • As a minister or priest of a religious organization.
    • In a religious vocation or occupation for a religious organization that requires you to have a bachelor’s degree or its foreign equivalent.
    • In a religious vocation or occupation for a religious organization or its non-profit affiliate. The term religious vocation refers to cantors, missionaries, religious instructors, etc.

Documents required for an EB-4 visa

If you are applying as a religious worker in the E-4 category, along with submitting Form I-360, you are required to provide the following documents:

  1. Proof that your religious organization is a non-profit organization.
  2. An official letter from your religious organization in the U.S. stating:
    • That you have been a member of the denomination for at least two years.
    • That you have at least two years experience in your vocation or occupation.
    • How you will be paid for your work.
    • That you do not intend to supplement your income with a second job, or depend on charity for support.
    • Details of your proposed employment (explained in the table below.
Type of Job The letter should state
1. If you are a Minister: That you have been authorized to perform religious duties in general and should specify which duties you are authorized to perform.
2. If you are a Religious Professional: That you have a U.S. bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent that is required for your religious profession. You must also submit an official academic record.
3. If you are applying to work in the U.S. in    another religious vocation or occupation: That you are qualified to work in that religious vocation or occupation. For example, if you are applying to work as a nun or a monk, you will need to provide evidence that you are a nun or a monk.
4. If you are applying to work in the U.S. in a     non-ministerial or non-professional capacity    for a religious organization affiliated with a    religious denomination: How the religious organization is affiliated with the denomination.